MS Outlook is one of those programs that don’t need an introduction. Designed and developed by the software giant Microsoft, Outlook has firmly established itself as one of the top email and personal information management software in the world. There are very few problems associated with the program, and the users generally do not experience any problems while using it. Most of the Outlook problems can be resolved easily, with the help of some simple troubleshooting steps.
A common problem faced by the Outlook users is the program not opening even after clicking on the program icon. In some cases, the program will take too much time to open after the icon has been clicked. This type of problem can be resolved by following the simple instructions given below.
Causes for this error
MS Outlook is a very large program that has to take care of multiple activities at the same time. It handles a large amount of files, and is generally found to be efficient at it. The above mentioned problem in the MS Outlook program can be traced back to the outcmd.dat file, which once corrupted, can cause a lot of trouble. The primary function of the outcmd.dat file is to store all the custom changes that you make to the toolbar button in the Outlook program. Once this file is corrupted or damaged, it would lead to further problems in the MS Outlook program.
Instructions to follow
- First of all, exit the MS Outlook program.
- Click on the “Start” button located in the lower left corner of your computer screen, and then select the “Search” option. Choose the “Files or Folders” option.
- Ensure that the “Look In” option is set to “C:\”.
- Type “OUTCMD.DAT” into the "Named" or "Search for..." box, and then click dll filename and then choose either the “Search” or the “Find Now” option.
- Remove all the files that are associated with outcmd.dat, and then exit the Search box. You will be able to find these files in the Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook folder.
- Launch the MS Outlook program in your computer and check whether it is functioning properly.
These are some of the instructions that you should follow in order to resolve some of the common Outlook problems that you’ll no doubt encounter. The instructions are easy to follow and you will be able to finish off the process within a matter of minutes.