Notification area is the space where the system shows you notifications about the programs running in the background and also shows the messages related to the system. In a Windows Vista computer, the notification area is found in the right side of the taskbar, just beside the system clock. Windows allows the user to change the notification characteristics. You can add or remove icons from the notifications area by following the simple Windows help instructions given below.
- Move the mouse pointer to the extreme left side of the taskbar and then press the Start button found there to open the Start menu.
- Now right click on a blank space in the Start menu to open a context menu and then select the Properties option from it.
- You will be able to view a new window on the screen with the name Properties, now click on the Notification Area tab found at the top of the window. Now you will be displayed with all the icons present in your system in the window, you can select which icons to display on the notifications area by putting a check mark in the check box found beside the options. If you do not wish to show an already shown icon, remove the check mark in the checkbox found next to it by clicking on it.
- Now click on the Customize option found in the window for modifying the notification area further. Now the window will show you additional icons that can be displayed on your notification area. You have the option to add the preferred icons to the notifications area. For showing an icon in the notification area, click on the icon and then select the respective command that would apply for the icon like Show, Hide, or Hide when inactive.
- After selecting the desired setting, click on the Apply button and then on the OK button for applying the changes and for saving the changes you have made in the notifications area.
- Click on the OK button for exiting from the taskbar properties window.
If you follow the simple instructions given above from the Windows help site, you will be able to make changes to the icons displayed in the notifications area in your computer. If you are not able to add or hide some icons in your notifications bar, feel free to contact the Microsoft support team.